Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm back




Hello Everyone,


Sorry that it has taken me a while to give an update on my return to Sevilla.
The trip here was fine. I did not have a window seat for any of my flights but, you know, what can you expect. I lived. I decided not to take the 20 euro taxi from the airport to my new home in Sevilla. Instead I decided to take teh 2,30 euro bus and then walk a mile with my luggage. I don't regret it. You see, I survived like I knew I would and now I have about $20 more than I would have had I taken the taxi. A hard decision but I'm glad I made it. It was hard to make myself keep walking, carrying 100lbs of luggage a backpack and a messenger bag with my valuables. I almost gave up... but once I hit the half way mark I knew I would survive. At one point three american kids said, wow I never relized how many tourists there are here laughed a little and kept walking. I was really annoyed. All I wanted to do was scream... I'm not a tourist!!! But I didn't I just kept walking and then found a bench and sat down to breath.


As I was crossing the bridge to Triana which is less than a block from my new apartment My suitcase caught on something and fell. And it all came tumbling down. A man right behind me was not so kind, laughed at me and told me I wasn't very smart. My face was beet red, I was sweating, wearing black sweats, a college t-shirt, and a fleece tied around my waist, and I told taht man " I didn't want to pay for a taxi". Well not exactly I said it in a flustered attempt at sounding good at spanish which probably came out all wrong. Anyway, I'm here. I arrived at the hosue and the first thing out of my new host mother's mouth was... tranquilate (calm down). Acutally, that was what Angeles (my old host mother) said to me first as well. I guess I should listen. : )


My classes are going well. My professor is a 26 year old woman who just got back from going to school in Florida. She speaks english and jokes around and is really nice and we hardly have any homework... and she doesn't know the rules because this is her first class here. I have to admit it is a nice change from having the head of academics teaching your class like my last intensive period.


It has been raining here since I got here. My shoes are sooo soaked I don't know how long I'll have to wait before I can wear them again. With the little homework and the rain I have had some trouble finding ways to ocupy my time. I have been to STARBUCKS more than once since it is one of the only sit-down cafés in Sevilla. I have spent hours and hours reading there until dinner time, I really like it. I brought 3 books with me, I have finished two. The 3rd is the entire chronicles of Narnia. I have finished the firt book. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm sure
I'll be busy enough when the regular semester starts in two weeks.


Today I decided to crash a school tour... and go to the bull ring. I know I won't go to see a bullfight because, well, I believe it is senseless cruelty to animals without remorse or consideration that they are living things. However, I do respect the fact that it is part of the culture so I would never protest against it or say anything about it to a Spainard. Anyway, I went baisically to take pictures and it was really cool. Nobody wanted to be there... but mabye to guys and me. I was the only one who actually asked if I could go. I really liked it and I'm glad I had the oportunity to see it. It would have been weird to be here so long and not have seen something so fundamental to the culture.


I have a roomate. She is my first roomate. We are different but we get along very well. She is very nice and she is here doing a different program so we have different schedules. She likes to go out. I do too but not on the weekdays. I went out with her on the weekend and had a lot of fun. It's kinda nice because I have the room to myself sometimes .... since I am so used to having my own space (or essentially my own space).


I don't know what else to tell everyone. Uncle Will, Just so you know I have been watching soccer every evening and the Simpons every day at lunch. I am kinda starting to like soccer but only enough to sit there for about 20 minutes after dinner. I'm not sure that I'll go to a game. But in your honor I may watch 1 full game! I decided that I would rather pay to go to the symphony here because if you were here you would go to a soccer game but if I was here (which I am) I would go to the symphony so I think I'll do... what I would do so that one day when my niece or nephew is going abroad I won't have to ask them to do what I wish I would have done when I was there. ; ) I guess you'll have to come back here to watch a game. Sorry. I do fully intend to go the ND football games though! I understand that I would regret that. : ) maybe.


So anyway, my first week has gone by well. I am really liking being back, much more than I expected. maybe it is all the goodies I brought with me. Thanks mom and grandma!
I'll keep everyone posted, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers... please. And Thanks for all of the thoughts, prayers, goodies, emails, messages, and skype calls that have been sent!

~ Hasta Luego ~

No comments: